Thursday 4 October 2007

Booking Through Thursday and a Musical Christmas!

Decorum October 4, 2007
Filed under: Wordpress — --Deb @ 1:54 am

Do you have “issues” with too much profanity or overly explicit (ahem) “romantic” scenes in books? Or do you take them in stride? Have issues like these ever caused you to close a book? Or do you go looking for more exactly like them? (grin)

Books with profanity and explicit romantic scenes don't bother me. These things can have their place in books. Stephen King is one of my favourite writers and in the past he has used both in his books. James Herbert, while not a favourite, is also an author I have read plenty of who uses these things in all of his books. He's actually famous for them. So I guess yes I take them in my stride. I don't go looking for them though. Unless of course you include "Forever" by Judy Blume like every other curious teen in my class. If the profanity is pointless and out of place in a book then I am going to be more disappointed by the writer than anything else. If the book is solely based around explicit romantic scenes then I'm not interested. I would rather read a book that was decently written and has an actual story to it.

If I close a book it has to be really bad. I don't buy racy books such as your mills and boon or the racier black lace. To me they are a waste of paper. Give me a good sci fi or fantasy book any day. So I have had no reason to really want to close a book for those reasons. The closest I came to it was when reading "Gerald's Game" by Stephen King. For those of you who have read it you will know that it's based around a romantic scene gone wrong. I didn't enjoy it at all but I forced myself to finish it because I was such a big fan of his books at the time (still am). I don't think it was really the scenes that bothered me but more that the whole book was based around one. It was just so boring. Other books that I can think of are those written by Richard Laymon. The horror genre likes to use sex and profanity. I think it's for the shock value. They like to use extremes to make a book all the more horrific. I do like horror but Laymon's books had some horror and a lot of sex. It seemed almost that the genre was used as an excuse to write these scenes and lots of them in each book.

This little trumpet is a Mill Hill beads tree decoration. I know it is very early but I can feel the Christmas spirit building already. I love Christmas and every year I seem to be starting earlier and earlier. I was on the sew and sew website buying threads for a design I am considering stitching (funnily enough a Christmas one). While there I thought I would take a look at their Christmas decoration kits. Not really expecting to see anything new. The first thing that appeared on the page was these lovely Christmas musical instruments to hang on the tree. I tried to say no but I couldn't. Next thing I know four of them were in my basket. As soon as they arrived I made a start on this trumpet and finished it that evening. I thought they were a little different to the usual Santa's and snowmen (not that there is anything wrong with those, I love Santa's and snowmen). There are two more in the series which I didn't buy but I think I am kidding myself when I say that I will probably leave those. My mum is very excited to get a hold of them and put them on her tree when finished. I am just looking forward to getting them all stitched up.

I haven't forgotten about the little witch that I was stitching. I have just about finished and she should be ready to be attached to a pillow over the weekend. So expect a photo soon. Actually it might be a week or so before I am able to post again. I have a lot going on at work just now (nothing bad but I have a big project to do which is going to take up most of my time). It don't think that it will take me much more than a week. When I come back, as well as a pic of the finished witch, you can expect me to be talking about Dr Who, 4400's, DS9 and possibly more book reviews.

4 comments:

Aussie Stitcher said...

Your ornament is lovely, well done.

Leeland said...

The MH ornie is a beautiful jewel and a nice change from santas and snowmen indeed.
Books: as a teenager, I used to re-read romantic scene to try and build up my confidence -but I've never found a single trick as to giving a perfect kiss. Lol!
I have read a book by Graham Masterton with a very hard scene at the beginning in which a mother and her daughter are tortured, raped and killed, tied to one another. This book has definitely made me stop reading any book of the horror genre, and the beautiful place where I was when I read it (on holidays in a small village of the Gorges du tarn) is tainted and forever connected with this book. This has only happened once but you can see how deeply a book can traumatize you. This word is not too strong...
Well, that's it for now...
Lots of love, Karen,
Lili

TimeWarden said...

These things don't worry me, particularly, but they do have their place. I'm certainly against their use in "Doctor Who". I don't even think RTD should've used "I Can't Decide" on the soundtrack of "Last of the Time Lords" because the song contains swearing elsewhere and kids will discover that if looking out source material which they are encouraged to do on the BBC site.

Regarding books, however, I found "Lady Chatterley's Lover" particularly boring and it's full of the F word. That's the most notorious example but I dislike it more because I don't particularly care for D H Lawrence. Basically, I don't believe life is totally sex-centric as he does!

Crazee4books said...

Hi Karen,

What a beautiful Xmas ornament. So pretty and sparkly, even in the photo. A set of these will look so nice on the Xmas tree. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

Do I read a book even if the language is rough, or the sex is rougher? Hmm. I think that it would depend on the story. I don't read anything too raunchy in romance, but these days it seems that some authors like to spell it out in all it's glory. Whatever. As long as the book is well written, I don't mind.

Excessive violence however...I picked up Stephen King's It years ago when the mini-series was on tv, stood in the store and read the first few pages. I couldn't stomach what was on those pages, put the book back on the shelf and walked away. It's just not my thing.

I prefer books with minimal profanity, but again, if it fits with the story then I'll accept it and move on.

It's funny, but when I saw the cover for The Declaration on your blog I thought...oh what a pretty book cover. It would have grabbed my attention if I'd seen it on the book shelf too. I find the story, as you described it, very intriguing too.

I've read a few reviews on other blogs for Joe Hill's latest book as well, and everyone seems to like his writing style, and agree that he sounds a bit like his Dad.

Do you read Vampire books too Karen?? I am quite partial to Vampires. Actually the Supernatural genre is Very popular these days, and I have a few favourite authors in that...achem...vein. Ouch!! Sorry.

I should go now. Bye!!! :)