Wednesday 17 October 2007

Still Alive

I took a little more time away than I planned. Still busy at work but I also came down with a cold. Only a slight cold so I'm fine now.

I finished stitching the witch for my sister and turned it into a little pillow. I'm now glad that I used the fabric that I did as it is just a right size for a pillow. I took two pieces of purple felt and stitched it together using orange thread to fit in with the Halloween colours. Didn't take long to make at all. I wasn't there when my sister got it but she said she loved it.

When I showed the pillow for my sister to my mum she tried to steal it. I had to snatch it back out of her hands. As a surprise I got to work on a pillow for her. Along with the witch there was a chart of this cat which was shown as a card. Once again I used the smaller fabric count and attached it to a pillow made from felt. It's actually small enough to be used as a pin cushion. My mum has a habit of leaving sewing needles all over the place (not that I can talk!). I have also been working on some Christmas items but have no photo's as yet since my camera broke down on me. Have to wait until my dad isn't using his so that I can take some snaps.

Thank you everyone for your comments on the beaded ornament. One of the Christmas items I have been working on is the drum (which is actually finished). I am thinking that the violin is next as it's my favourite. I had always wanted to learn to play the violin when I was younger but was never allowed. Took up the clarinet instead. I think my parents must have thought that a clarinet would be less painful to the ears than a violin when in the hands of a beginner. How little they knew, lol!

Lili, I've never had a book put me off a place that I love. Not that I'm well travelled mind you. Have you ever read a book that has made you want to visit somewhere? For me Murakami's books have all made me want to visit Japan. Everything else I have read on Japan since has just increased that.

Timewarden, I quite like the track "I can't decided". It's actually becoming rarer and rarer these days to find an album that doesn't have bad language in it. Not something my parents had to worry about when I was little but these days you never know. Some parents that I have dealt with don't seem too bothered by it but others don't always realise it. A few parents I've had to warn about some CD's have been very surprised.

Crazee4books, I do like vampire stories although I don't go out of my way to pick them out. I think vampire stories are difficult to write well. Actually, maybe the horror genre is difficult to write well as I said the same thing about ghost stories. I did read one of the Anita Blake stories by Laurel Hamilton but didn't think much of it.

3 comments:

TimeWarden said...

I don't mind the song either, Karen. I'm just not sure what purpose it served in "Last of the Time Lords"?!! When pop songs were used in "Revelation of the Daleks", for example, there was a good reason for it!!!

Sorry to hear you haven't been well but glad you're feeling better now!

Crazee4books said...

Hi Karen,

Welcome back, and glad to hear that you're feeling better from your cold.

I really love your little witch, and the ghost that you made into pillows for your Mom and Sis. The purple backing fabric really makes the x-stitch designs POP! Very pretty set.

I've read some of the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton, and although it was interesting at first I eventually went off it. And the same for her other series as well.

I love the violin too, and especially when used to play Celtic style music. We have a family here in Ontario named Leahy, which is made up of about 8 siblings who all play various instruments together, with the main instrument being the fiddle. They are amazing musicians and the music is wonderful. Your feet can't keep still.

I've never learned to play any kind of instrument, although I would have liked to learn the piano. Ah well.

Cheers.

Leeland said...

Wow! I'm not surprised your mother tried to steal this lovely pillow! Lol! It's a chance you're a generous person because the second one you made for her is just as lovely...
Vampire stories are often sad -or like in Anita Blackman's case- filled with sex. Not my conception of a good read...
I haven't read Murakami yet, so I can't tell if he'll make me feel like visiting Japan... All I know is that DH and DS dream of it for video games... Well. I'm afraid visiting such a country is out of the question -financial aspect not even considered... Lol!- because it is said to be very crowdy...
Lots of love,
Lili