Thursday 7 June 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday
Almost everyone can name at least one author that you would love just ONE more book from. Either because they’re dead, not being published any more, not writing more, not producing new work for whatever reason . . . or they’ve aged and aren’t writing to their old standards any more . . . For whatever reason, there just hasn’t been anything new (or worth reading) of theirs and isn’t likely to be.
If you could have just ONE more book from an author you love . . . a book that would be as good any of their best (while we’re dreaming) . . . something that would round out a series, or finish their last work, or just be something NEW . . . Who would the author be, and why? Jane Austen? Shakespeare? Laurie Colwin? Kurt Vonnegut?

This is actually a hard one. I read this challenge last night and I could not think of a single author. Most authors that were springing to mind were ones who are still writing but I am just impatient when it comes to waiting for their next book.

This morning however, I was talking to someone about an author who has passed away. A friend had mentioned a film she remembered seeing and it was "Village of the Damned". This of course is based on "The Midwich Cuckoos" by John Wyndham one of my favourite authors. I have not yet read all of his books but I have read the vast majority of them. Wyndham had been writing most of his life. In his early life her wrote under a variety of names of many different genres. He didn't start writing the books he was better known for until after WWII. These books are generally classed as science fiction but Wyndham himself classed his writing as "logical fantasy".

Despite having been written 50 years ago his books do have the ability to scare me. The main one is "The Day Of the Triffids". I first came across it in the form of a film when I was little. I have never recovered from it. There are plants out there today which I watch closely to see if it's going to move (one of which my mum insists keeping in the back garden). At school we had to read the book. This was the first time I had read Wyndham. My first reaction was horror. There was no way I wanted to read a book that film had been based on. It had scared me that much. What surprised me though was that I enjoyed it. Once I ignored that fear I realised how good the writing actually was (and made the film look so very poor). I then made a point of reading "The Midwich Cuckoos". I remembered that film well too (was called Village of the Damned) although it hadn't scared me quite as much. This book is probably one of my favourites. I have also went on to read The Chrysalids, The Seeds Of Time and Chocky.

Why would I want him to produce one more book? Wyndham died in 1969. I would be very interested to see what form a book by him would have taken had he been alive now. I wonder what he would have written had he known about computers, the Internet, reality shows, today's political unrest and everything else that has happened since then. The same could be said for most authors I imagine but Wyndham is one I would be truly interested to read.

Lili, Timewarden answered your question amongst my comments. As he said you can print it out but it will use a lot of paper. This book was probably over 200pgs in novel format.

Timewarden, I never thought of comparing Human nature with Inner Light but I agree. Both gave people the opportunity to see what a different life would be like. Both main characters are interested only in travel and discovery and so don't have time for families. Both saw that given half a chance they could be happy in that alternative life. Very much the same concept.

3 comments:

Leeland said...

Is "Village of the Damned" the film in which the teacher has to think of a brick wall to prevent the fair-haired blue-eyed kids in the class from reading his mind?
I refer to this film very often. In fact, everytime someone says "a wall", I think of it. It's a glimpse. I haven't read it but this film did leave its mark in my brain when I saw it as a teenager. Like a tatoo. I had DH watch it some time ago, and he liked it as well (though he is more attracted to "modern" movies...).
Thanks for pointing Timewarden's comment. In fact, I had read it already... And I've read the first pages as well. Couldn't enter the book though, probably due to the screen reading...
I have finished "the testament of Gideon Mack" and I would really advise it. Very interesting and beautifully written. Original in its approach to religion too. The kind of book that you can't forget either...
Hugs!
Lili

TimeWarden said...

Very interesting question, Karen, and your answer equally so. I've been meaning to read some Wyndham for quite a while and your post has spurred me on to do so. It was nice to learn some facts about his life from you as well as the effect he has had on you at various times.

For my choice, I'll go with the author who came immediately to mind, Thomas Hardy. Specifically, I would like another novel to exist written between his last two, "Tess" and "Jude".

"Tess" is my all-time favourite so, naturally enough, it would be nice if there was another novel in a similar style, not a sequel, but one that isn't as tough a proposition as "Jude"! "Tess" is bleak, yes, but "Jude" is overwhelmingly so and it would be perfect if this imaginary book pulled back from that darkness just a little!!

Crazee4books said...

Hmmm. This is an interesting question. I can think of at least one author that I loved and who wrote about her family life, and a daughter born with cerebral palsy, with humour, compassion and a talent for describing people and events vividly. The author's name is Marie Killilea, and the books are called Karen and With Love From Karen. I'd have loved more of Ms Killilea's writing but she only wrote a children's book called Wren and I've never found that one. She passed away in the 80's.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the new season of the Doctor, and these two episodes in particular. Don't know when it's suppose to begin again here.
One of the VJ's at Much Music here in Toronto (our version of MTV) was one of the child actors from the film Village of the Damned.
I've never read any of the books but have seen the movies.