Thursday 28 June 2007

The Sound Of Drums


The Doctor, Martha and Captain Jack all made it back to Earth using a method we could all see coming a mile off. They get there to discover that the Master is now Prime Minister. The Doctor is possibly partly responsible after weakening the position of Harriot Jones in Tennant's first Christmas special. The Master has promised to introduce an alien race to humans that promise to bring them friendship and gifts. Instead they bring destruction and help enslave the human race. The Doctor meanwhile has been aged 100 years and Martha disappears with a promise to come back. Now it is down to Martha to save everyone.

I'm not sure about this one. I am mostly reserving my judgement until I see the last episode tomorrow. I still feel the Master is far too similar to David Tennant's Doctor but then apparently it was deliberate. It was meant to make him more of an equal to the Doctor. Personally I still feel that Jacobi's Master would have been a far better and scarier choice. While Simms version seems to be larking about I think Jacobi's serious nature would make for a far more sinister character. Since it was clearly not meant to be I guess I just have to get over it. I am looking forward to seeing how Martha can save the Earth. I am hoping that this will be her opportunity to shine.

I know a lot of people find knitting to be dull but I find it to be therapeutic. Also it's supposed to be the hip craft of the moment. Either way I like it although I have yet to advance to anything beyond the scarf. In all the scarfs I have knitted so far I have used very basic stitches. I have wanted to learn to do lace knitting for a while as I love the beautiful shawls and scarfs you can create with it. I bought the Knitting Stitch Bible and chose the design lace wheels from it to knit this scarf. This is my first attempt at lace knitting and while it is yet another scarf I'm actually a little proud of it. I have put it away as part of my mum's Christmas. I am now taking part in a knitting supplies swap and am knitting a bag for it. This will be the first time in years I have sat and followed a pattern so I am hoping it will turn out and will encourage me to do something other than scarves from now on.

Here is the sock monkey I made for Lili which she has now received. Her name is Madleen and she is a monkey of cheery disposition. She also loves nature. You can see here that while she was with me she did some chores for her keep.


Lili, I liked your question. Yes, I do sometimes read more than one book at a time. If I am reading a non fiction book I always have a fiction title on the go too. If I am reading a large book I will also read a smaller one at work. If I am not really enjoying a book but still want to finish it I also read another book along side it. At the moment I am getting into graphic novels which I have been reading alongside the book I am reading at the moment. I find they are good to read when I am tired but not tired enough to go to sleep. At the moment I have three books on the go. One by Stephen King, a graphic novel and The Island of Dr Moreau.

4 comments:

Leeland said...

What's a graphic novel?
Madleen is a wonderful mate. She's very lovable. I can not thank you enough for making her. She's very successful here. I want to take pics of her and put them on my computer: I just need to ask DH how to do it... He has been working on the puter with double HD and all and I'm quite lost. In fact, I am always lost when it comes down to downloading pics from our camera. Generally, I understand fast if you explain for long -but in this case, I am incurable. Lol!!! Hopefully, I'll make my first post with Madleen next week.
Until recently (about one month ago), I have never read two novels at the same time. Now it's the case with Alice in Wonderland (one chapter once in a while), the Elm Creek Quilts and a mystery book. All are different. But I feel strange doing this... Perhaps I'm about to change my habits with reading?
How are you doing with your "wise" frogs?
I hope you have a nice week end (not too tiring) with a little sunshine may be? Here, it's dull...
Lots of love, Lili

TimeWarden said...

Jacobi was and would've been perfect. I lay odds that future documentaries on "Doctor Who" will repeat the moment when he says "I am the Master" over and over!

Your reviews are usually quite positive, Karen, whereas I get the feeling from this one that you're more than a little disillusioned with the programme's casting, not just over John Simm but Freema as well.

Do you think when RTD goes it'll make any difference to the series or do you think it'll still be business as usual because it's so commercially successful the way it is?

Crazee4books said...

http://simplesparrow.typepad.com/simple_sparrow/
Hi Karen, Simple Sparrow has a book featured on her blog on the making of sock animals (June 9th's entry) which might interest you. I love the elephant one, which she made. Directions to blog provided above.
We're quite behind in Dr Who episodes here. Don't think the third season has started yet. I find the idea of Derek Jacobi playing the Master very interesting. I remember the original Master, Roger Delgado (I think his name was) and I remember the second Master, who looked very much like the original, which I'm sure was done deliberatly. A "funny" Master doesn't sound quite right to me. The Master should be sinister, menacing and EVIL!! Funny? No.
I so remember the Robot episode of Dr Who, and the introduction of Tom Baker as the Doctor. What a revelation! Tom Baker's Doctor will always be MY Doctor. And I remember Harry, poor, bumbling Harry. Always driving the Doctor crazy. Ian Marter was great in the roll. He wrote a few of the books as I recall.
I've read on the BBC news site that the third season has now ended, and that next season there will be another companion introduced since Martha will be spending time on the other series Torchwood (which we don't get here).
By the way, I love your ironing board cover. Really neat.
Your black and white striped Sock Monkey looks like he's just escaped from jail. I really like the multi coloured one.
Cheers.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Sock monkey is adorable!