Wednesday 20 June 2007

Robot

This is the first story starring Tom Baker as the Doctor. The Doctor is still recovering from his regeneration and this is where Harry Sullivan comes in, UNIT's Doctor, to help him. Meanwhile Sarah gets to go visit Think Tank. A group of scientists that few reporters get to speak to. There she comes across a Robot. She believes that the group are using the Robot for something other than they claim. Which of course they are and so the Doctor gets involved. The Robot is being reprogrammed by a group of people who believe that they should do the thinking for the rest of humanity. It is up to the Doctor to stop them before the Robot goes insane.


I remember when my parents first bought this on VHS. I was so excited because by this point I had seen many with Tom Bakers Doctor and all the others with Harry Sullivan (by this point I was loving Harry's character). I was so disappointed though. Tom Baker was getting used the role of the Doctor and so he wasn't quite as good as later episodes. Plus there was very little of Harry. Having got over that disappointment when I bought the DVD I knew what to expect from it. This time I just enjoyed the story itself. Like most stories involving Robots it goes back to Asimov robots and the laws regarding them. It didn't take any of the enjoyment away from it although it was central to the story. I think there are very few Robot stories that don't refer to it in some way or other. I liked the idea of a Robot who has been programmed to kill but can't because of the kindness shown by Sarah Jane. Reminds me very much of Rose in "Dalek". Although this will never be my favourite storyline it will be high on my list.


Yes, I have made something other than a sock monkey. As part of a used book swap I was to make my swap partner a bookmark. As my swap partner was generous with what she sent I made her two bookmarks. Normally I would stitch something. As my swap partner doesn't do embroidery or cross stitch but wants to learn I was tempted to just go ahead and stitch a bookmark. Instead one of the books I sent her should help her with learning. I came across this ribbon while shopping for yarn for something else (yes this ribbon is actually classed as a yarn). I cut strips of it and tied it into a knot at the top. I had also bought some buttons and I stitched one to the knot and the others to the bottom of the strips. It's all in colours my swap partner listed as liking. The second bookmark I used another ribbon type yarn to brighten up the parcel a bit. I platted both together and then stitched buttons to the knots at both ends. They didn't take me long to make at all but I really like the way they turned out.


Lili, I am actually making a sock monkey with a pirate theme. A friend's daughter has requested one. I have another to make in the meantime but I promise to post pictures of it. Your sock monkey is now on it's way to you. I posted it out yesterday so hopefully it won't take too long to get there.
I like to see where I am in a book too. I look at the page numbers to judge how long I have to go and I try not to look at the text. I do this because I usually have planned out what I want to read next. I feel guilty sometimes for always looking forward to the next book rather than solely concentrating on the one I am on. A sign of a good book though is if I don't think about the next book.


Timewarden, going by the clips I think it is wishful thinking that Simm will become more serious. I think Simm will make a good master but Jacobi would have made a fantastic master. I think when portraying evil if you make the character as serious as Jacobi would have it would make it more effective. The comic value seems to camp up the evil. How can you take that seriously? It has its place but not with the master.


2 comments:

Leeland said...

Lovely and original bookmarks! When I was about eleven, I crocheted some thread around my finger and made a bookmark for my mother. Very simple and she's still using it. She says it's her fav cos' I made it AND it's very convenient...
I always seem to lose my bookmarks in the sheets so I still fold the corners of my books too often. Then I find my bookmark, unfold the page but it's too late really. Such a bad habit...
When books are really good, I tend to not want to finish them... so I might take three days to read the end (except for thrillers, of course) just for the pleasure to enjoy the company of the characters I have learned to appreciate... That's why I like books with recurrent characters too.
Oh, I was wondering: do you ever read several books at a time, or just one after one another? (typical booking through thursday question, isn't it? lol!)
I'm sooo looking forward to seeing the postman... I fall asleep thinking of names for my monkey...
I'm off for the week end fri to sun... Though it's only three days, I have lots of things to prepare...
Lots of hugs, Karen!
Lili

TimeWarden said...

"Robot" isn't one of my favourites either, Karen. It might have something to do with the fact that it was the last story to be made under Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks, and, after five years on the show, tiredness was setting in.

It's certainly hard to believe that a few weeks later along came all-time classic "Genesis of the Daleks"! But then that was under a new regime even though Hinchcliffe and Holmes weren't overly keen on tackling a Dalek story. On the other hand, "Revenge of the Cybermen" was a bit muddled so maybe it's just the luck of the draw!!