Sunday 17 June 2007

Utopia

A very quick start to last nights episode. Captain Jack is back and this time he isn't letting the Dr get away without him. He clings on to the Tardis for dear life as it travels through time to the end of the universe. What they find there is the last of the humans and their attempt at staying alive. They must reach Utopia and all are aboard a silo to take them there. Sadly the professor in charge of the project doesn't know how to send off the silo. It just takes a little help from the Doctor and Captain Jack. Meanwhile, Martha discovers that the professor is no ordinary human. Seeing him with a watch the Dr had used before to hide his Timelord personality she questions him on it. Big mistake as she awakens the Doctors arch nemesis and fellow Timelord, the Master.

And so it moves on to the next two episodes which will of course be about the Master. I think we had all guessed that this was going to happen. As soon as the Face of Boe told the Doctor he wasn't alone it was kind of a given as to who it would be. The only other possibility was maybe Romana and that would hardly make for the scenes we got last night. Despite knowing what was going to happen I did enjoy the episode and it is good to have Captain Jack back. Although is it just me or is his character a little different in Dr Who than it is in Torchwood? I do think it is a shame that Derek Jacobi isn't playing the Master in the next few episodes. I think he would have been good at it. John Simm seems to be going for a more comic approach very similar to David Tennant's Doctor. Maybe that can also be a good thing though. Two similar characters but one is good while the other is bad.




I am still busy making these soft toys. A friend challenged me to make a sock octopus. So here we have the first (and last) socktopus made by myself. It doesn't have a name as I have yet to pass it on to the new owner.



This sock monkey was made for another friend. Again yet to be named but should have a name in the next few days. This one will be going to Alten Towers. So hopefully I will have some travelling pics of this one to show.


Lili, thanks for your comments. The next sock monkey I am making is going to you. I have socks all picked out for you. I know I promised you a while back. With luck it will be in the post to you on Wednesday.

Timewarden, sorry I didn't answer your last question. Your right "Survival" is too short a story to warrent two discs. Disc 2 is full of extras because it was the last of the original Who shown. It has out takes, a 45 minute documentary on why Who ended and then a piece on Ace's character. There is also the usual photo gallery, a kids science show in which the Doctor and Ace appeared (the actors were in character) and a little about Anthony Ainley. I haven't watched any of it yet so I'm afraid I can't tell you if it is worth it.

2 comments:

Leeland said...

Lol! The octopus made with socks with skulls! It's perfect and makes me smile with its kind looks... Definitely inspired by pirates movies...
The monkey's a cutie!
I'm still thinking of a name for my monkey (how sweet of you to make me one! I feel like a kid waiting for her gift: very excited and happy) and I have a few ideas but I will make a final choice when I see "it" (will decide on a he or she too).
Now I'm off to your booking through thursday...
Hugs!

TimeWarden said...

Have you noticed, Karen, that, just as Yana is an acronym for "You are not alone", so too is Fob, as in fob watch, for both Face of Boe and Family of Blood? Deliberate or accidental, do you think?

Agreed with your assessment of the two Masters! As you can probably guess, I much preferred Jacobi over Simm!! I suspect it's too much to hope that, by next week, John Simm will come over all serious!!!