Thursday 2 August 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday
Have you ever written an author a fan letter?
Did you get an answer?
Did it spark a conversation? A meeting?
(And, sure, I suppose that e-mails DO count . . . but I’d say no to something like a message board on which the author happens to participate.)

No, I have never written a fan letter to an author. When I was younger it never occurred to me that I could otherwise I probably would have. I had heard of people writing fan mail to pop stars and actors. I remember one of those pop magazines showing addresses of where you could send various fan mail to. I was never teeny boppy enough to go ahead and write one of those letters.

I did consider writing a fan letter to an author a year or so ago. I had planned to write a letter to Stephen King. I had not long finished the last of the Dark Tower books and once I had I came across a lot of criticism on how he ended the series. I think it was because of those criticisms that I wanted to write a letter explaining how much I enjoyed his books. There was more to it than that although I don't think it was a gushy letter. I think I was annoyed about all the criticism (although I have to say that in some cases I could see their point) and I just wanted to show some support. Of course I only composed it in my head. It was one of those things that I had in my head to do before I went to sleep and then it didn't seem like such a good idea after I woke up the next day.

At the time I found it very easy to imagine what I would say in this letter. Now though I can't imagine it. At least I can't imagine writing something that he probably hasn't heard before. "Hi, I really enjoy reading your books. They really mean a lot to me. Hope there is more to come." I am sure he and most authors have had many letters like it. I think King actually puts a lot of himself in his books. Many of the main characters are writers or have had drinking problems. In "Lisey's Story" the husband of the main character was a writer. Some of his fan mail was mentioned in it where people saw things in his books that weren't there. One particular fan took it to the extreme and it ended in the writer being shot. I think that there is some truth in this. Not that the author has ever been shot but that he has received some very strange mail too. I think for any author it must be frustrating to receive letters like that and I think King showed that in this book (as well as a hint of amusement).

I've kind of went off track there. I would be interested to hear if any of you have ever written to a favourite author and what you said. Or if you haven't what would you say?

2 comments:

TimeWarden said...

I have written fan letters but to the BBC, not directly to an author or actor.

The first time was when I was very young, to "Junior Points of View", suggesting my Granddad take over from William Hartnell as the Doctor whilst the actor was on holiday! Bear in mind, this was before the concept of regeneration was introduced!!

I wrote again in the mid-80s, this time as an adult to "Points of View", over the cancellation.

Regarding my original letter, "Doctor Who Magazine" ran a series of articles reprinting letters broadcast on "Junior Points of View" and requesting anyone who had written, all those years earlier, to get in touch if they'd stayed with the programme. I was their only reply, part of which was subsequently published!

Leeland said...

I agree 100% with you about the fan letters. I'd also read that about King: it must be worrying sometimes...
I don't think I'd ever been a fan of an author before Jasper Fforde: his imagination is just strikingly clever and all. Never mind: I won't find the words... But I just don't see what he would do with another praise letter! lol!!!