Friday 24 August 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Indoctrination August 23, 2007
Filed under: Wordpress — --Deb @ 1:35 am

Using a suggestion from Erin today:
When growing up did your family share your love of books? If so, did one person get you into reading? And, do you have any family-oriented memories with books and reading? (Family trips to bookstore, reading the same book as a sibling or parent, etc.)

I think that I have probably answered this question or something like it somewhere before. So I am not going to do a big long post on this. The straight answer is yes I did grow up in a family that shared a love of books. My mum used to talk to me all the time about the books she read when she was little and all her trips to the library. My dad on the other hand didn't begin reading much until he went to college. Funnily that was round the time he started dating my mum so maybe she influenced him a little. When I was little going to the library was a family event. Even my sister who reads sporadically loved going. We would all come away with handfuls of books and the rest of the evening we would all be quietly reading together in the living room. My dad doesn't read quite as much now so it's mainly my mum and I who share a love of books despite our widely differing tastes.

2 comments:

Leeland said...

Same for me: it was my mum who introduced me to reading and bought me books. Yet, not enough so I had to read lots of them again and again... I wish there had been more libraries at that time...
She bought the books from the supermarket and I don't have memories of trips to bookshops. Yet, I'm making some for my own children just the same as you have. These are among my favourite moments in life: a book is a promise of wonderful moments.
I remember my father would read me fairy tales -always from the same book that I still have and treasure- once in a while when I was 8 or 9.
My fondest memories of reading together are with my son who loved books from his very very young age. He has always loved the music of words too, and he wanted me to read the same books again and again and play with the rhymes. Now, he's a big reader.
Unfortunately, reading for DD was less fun as she wasn't very concentrated. Yet, she's now a reader anyway. Mission accomplished! Lol!!!
Lots of love,
Lili

Crazee4books said...

Hi Karen,

Neat question. My love of books came directly from my Dad. He read to me a lot when I was small. He also told me stories about when he was a boy, and I loved hearing those. I'd ask for them over and over again. So that's possibly why I love a good story, of any kind. My Dad also read all kinds of books to me, and didn't worry about my age. If I couldn't understand all of it he'd read excerpts that he thought I'd be able to enjoy.
I still have some of the books that he read to me (Winnie the Pooh, Just So Stories, Grimm's Fairy Tales). When I read those books now I hear the words in his voice.

Deep Space Nine was a favourite of mine, although I missed many of the episodes for one reason or another. My favourite characters were Dr Bashir, Ben Sisko, and Garak. Especially Garak, though he didn't join the series until later. I also loved the halo-deck character of the lounge singer, played by James Darren. When I think of DS9 I remember the main story lines, especially in the final three or more seasons, as being quite intense. The war with the Cardassians, and Odo's people was not the cut and dried story arcs that other Star Trek series have used.
Sorry for rambling here so much.
Love to Mr Sparkles!