Thursday 6 September 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Goldilocks September 6, 2007
Filed under: Wordpress — --Deb @ 1:44 am

Okay, so the other day, a friend was commenting on my monthly reading list and asked when I found the time to read. In the ensuing discussion, she described herself as a “goldilocks” when it comes to reading–she needs to have everything juuuuuust right to be able to focus. This caught my attention because, first, I thought that was a charming way of describing the condition, but, two, while we’ve talked about our reading habits, this is an interesting wrinkle. I’d never really thought about it that way.
So, this is my question to you–are you a Goldilocks kind of reader?
Do you need the light just right, the background noise just so loud but not too loud, the chair just right, the distractions at a minimum?
Or can you open a book at any time and dip right in, whether it’s for twenty seconds, while waiting for the kettle to boil, or indefinitely, like while waiting interminably at the hospital–as long as the book is open in front of your nose, you’re happy to read?

I am not a Goldilocks reader. I can read just about anywhere. The only place I have difficulty reading is on a bus or car and that's due to travel sickness. I am one of these annoying people that can zone everything out to concentrate on what I am reading. Of course I can only do this if the book is good enough. If the book isn't good enough to catch my imagination then it won't happen. Many a time I have had people try to catch my attention and it takes a pat on the shoulder to drag me out of my book. Funny though, when it comes to sleeping I need total silence.

I do have ideal places to read though. I love nothing more than at the end of the day to sit in bed and read with a cup of tea. Or to soak in the bath with a book (lots of bubbles and a glass of red wine). Lastly I love to spend a day book shopping and then sitting in the cafe and reading something I have purchased while sipping a coffee. Unfortunately I very rarely get to do the last one. Especially since my favourite place to go has closed down.

I'm going to leave you now with some more sock monkey pics. Three of them are of Scarlett (the monkey I made for my mum) who has not long come back from Boston. Some pics of her were taken in a park. The last pic is of a new sock monkey. His name is Col. Pillage and he has went to the aid of a Viking.


2 comments:

TimeWarden said...

A very Happy Birthday to you Karen and Lili did indeed do you proud. I've saved the pic of the David Tennant design!

I've enjoyed reading your overviews of the first two seasons of "DS9" particularly as I don't remember the individual episodes as well as those of "TNG". I remember Louise Fletcher though, probably because I'd already seen her as the nurse in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", and Andrew Robinson, too, who was the villain in the first "Dirty Harry" movie as well as starring in "Hellraiser".

In answer to your "Booking Through Thursday" question, I do like everything just so for any activity which engages the mind whether it's reading, watching a complex TV drama, or even writing a blog and peace and quiet is a commodity harder to find these days!

Leeland said...

How lovely! Scarlett is a happy monkey!
Goldilock reader? Well, I guess I am in a sense.
I like nothing more than reading in bed or in my bathtub (no red wine, though, lol!)dcxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (oooops, that was Salem's word). But I also tend to read in public places in order to avoid interactions with other humans. However, when I do, I thouroughly don't enjoy the book as much because I'm too aware of their presence. Nothing better for me than being alone, in peace, with the heroes of my book.
Lots of hugs!
Lili