Friday 14 September 2007

Booking Through Thursday


Okay . . . picture this (really) worst-case scenario: It’s cold and raining, your boyfriend/girlfriend has just dumped you, you’ve just been fired, the pile of unpaid bills is sky-high, your beloved pet has recently died, and you think you’re coming down with a cold. All you want to do (other than hiding under the covers) is to curl up with a good book, something warm and comforting that will make you feel better.
What do you read?
(Any bets on how quickly somebody says the Bible or some other religious text? A good choice, to be sure, but to be honest, I was thinking more along the lines of fiction…. Unless I laid it on a little strong in the string of catastrophes? Maybe I should have just stuck to catching a cold on a rainy day….)

This is actually very easy to answer. If I was to chose a book purely for comfort I would probably chose one of Anne McCaffreys books from the Pern series. To me something that will make me feel better is an easy read but one that I have fun reading too. The Pern series fit that for me. I would probably chose one of the later ones since I have read the first few a couple of times. I am thinking possibly the Masterharper of Pern as it involved one of my favourite characters.

Crazee4books, thank you for your comments. I must admit that I too prefer those frogs than the other type of frogs involved in stitching. I first saw Earthshock years after it had first been broadcast so I knew that it was the one where Adric died. Even then I was pleased that he had left. He wasn't my favourite character. Still a good story though.

Thank you lili, lol. I will see what I can do with your cards. Glad you are enjoying the first season of Dr Who. That episode put a lump in my throat too. Glad you are also enjoying the Diary of Anne Frank. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've read it. My sister is reading it just now too.

3 comments:

Leeland said...

Which character is this? I remember Menolly. I liked her and it was a possible name for my daughter but in French, it means "leads to bed" so I gave it up... Lol! I have really enjoyed the series (though I have missed a few of them). My fav was the one where you found out the origins of the characters...
I can't imagine a special book that would comfort me. Any good book would do as long as it would make me forget the rest... Actually, I cope better with stress with a difficult cross stitch design -counting keeps my mind busy...
Would you like me to send the David Tennant chart so you can stitch it for someone who would like it? Just let me know. I don't think I'd have to dig too deep for it. Lol!
Love,
Lili

TimeWarden said...

Well, if all you describe happened to me in presumably a short space of time, I think I'd settle down with "Crime and Punishment" and a lemsip!

In the past, I've listened to Garbage when frustrated by that type of stress cos it helps release the anger felt when dealing with betrayal.

On a lighter note, love your new "Simpsons" avatar!

Crazee4books said...

Hmm...books that I read to put me in my "happy place".

I've probably listed some of these books in one or more of Booking Through...'s questions before, so bear with me.

Karen or With Love from Karen ~ Marie Killilea. I've cried and I've laughed over these books.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn ~ Betty Smith. I've read this one a half dozen times or more. Love Francie, the heroine.

The Moon is a Balloon ~ David Niven. If I need a good laugh Mr Niven delivers every time.

Outlander ~ Diana Gabaldon.
Sorry Karen, I love this book, and it's a wonderful love story, and pretty darn funny at times.

Did you ever read the fantasy series The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan Karen? He passed away today at the age of 58. I wasn't keen on his writings, never got passed the first book, but he had a legion of fans who will mourn his passing at such a young age.

And Madeline L'Engle passed away last week. Many of us were introduced to Sci-Fi through her books, and especially A Wrinkle In Time. A truly timeless young adult book.

Two great losses for the world of fantasy and sci-fi, and for book lovers everywhere.

Cheers Karen!