Thursday 20 September 2007

Booking Through Thursday


The reverse of last week’s question:
Imagine that everything is going just swimmingly. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all’s right with the world. You’re practically bouncing from health and have money in your pocket. The kids are playing and laughing, the puppy is chewing in the cutest possible manner on an officially-sanctioned chew toy, and in between moments of laughter for pure joy, you pick up a book to read . . .

To be honest if it is that good a day I am more likely to want to go out and do something or sit down with a craft than read. To me that would be a perfect time to give a new craft a try. So if I had to chose a book it would probably be a new craft book. I love craft books and every time I come across a new one that I like the look of I can't help but pick it up. My recent craft book splurge has been on knitted toys. After making the sock monkeys I liked the idea of going back to knitting toys. When I was younger I knitted some dolls for friends. My mum has a great book for this although I can't remember what it is called. I have ordered one for fantasy knits but it is taking it's time on getting here. As soon as I have finished making something from each of these I will do a proper post on them (including my mums book).

If it is at the end of a great day then yes I will pick up a good book to read. Again I am more likely to try something new. Maybe and author I have never read before or even a genre I don't usually read. On those type of days it could be practically anything.

Lili, don't let me put you off. Rose is still a good character I was just a little disappointed with her in the end. Not at all the fault of Billie Piper as she played the part well. You may feel differently though. I am looking forward to hearing what you think.

Funnily enough I have only ever watched the first episode of Lost and then I wasn't really given much choice over it. I was over at the ex's and he wanted to watch it. I think all the hype has put me off (not like Heroes as I had already watched some of it by the time all the hype came out so knew it was good for myself). Occasionally I will hear a friend talking about it and I do think that maybe I will buy the first box set but then I forget all about it. Maybe one day I will watch it. Do you like it Lili?

2 comments:

Leeland said...

Hi Karen!
A nice day will finish ideally with a light book, some story that ends well...
I am in the last part of "All families are psychotic" and you can't imagine a happy ending, this book is very much on my mind -and I have even started telling DH the story. Aids is described very objectively, nothing to try and make you cry, but you feel so helpless for the heroes. There are some great ideas too, like how the mother gets ill: it sounds very Irving... See what I mean?
We love Lost, and the first season is best. I would definitely give it a try, there are many good ideas in there. This series is produced by the same people as Heroes, and there are many similarities: foreigners speaking in their foreign language (and not in English, which is hilarious: when there's a room full of Italian mafiosi, how come they speak English?! Just remembering The Godfather...). Many characters with different stories: they have some "thickness". We use this word in French but I don't know if it's understandable in English... Interactions between the characters prior to the crash. Also, some things/events that are unexplained and that make you watch on and on. In every episode, you discover something new, it's kind of addictive. Now, I guess you shouldn't expect too much or you'll unavoidably feel disappointed. That's how I work...

Don't worry: you haven't put me off watching Dr Who season 2, I enjoy it too much... No, but let's look at things the way they are: we often agree so I know what to expect...

Oh, and I agree, a good day is also a day that ends with some crafts, a new project, etc... That will generally prevent me from sleeping though, because then my mind won't stop... Lol!

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your knitted toys. Though I used to knit a lot before arthritis, I have never made toys, just pullovers... Lol! But then, I was not into crafts...

Love,
Lili

Crazee4books said...

Hi Karen,

So is the Booking Through...question asking if we've read a book that's ruined our happy mood??? Or is it asking if we read when we're happy??

I do most of my reading en route home from work. This gives me approximately an hour and a half to read each day. Since I'm leaving work I'm in a good mood. Reading makes me happier, and makes a long and tiring trip bearable.

Does reading a book affect my mood? Sure. If I read a "sad" book, or one with a general air of melancholy, then I find myself responding to that. I was teary eyed at the end of A Thousand Splendid Suns. I felt sad after reading Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes.

We use to watch Lost, especially during the first season. I loved it. The second season was good too, but we kept missing episodes for various reasons and once that started to happen we lost track of what was happening. And we began to wonder if the creators actually had a plan to end the series (eventually) and answer all the questions being posed. So I think I may buy the DVD sets and watch the shows that way, at our own time, and our own pace.

I remember watching the original series of Battlestar Galactica. I loved it. I've only seen the pilot for the new series. I've always read great things about the series, but I wonder if I'd like it, since it's quite dark in nature.

Love your newest sock Monkey. What a great way to create a memory of a trip someplace.

Cheers. Judy