Thursday 22 February 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday
A couple weeks ago, we asked about how you take care of your books, with one of the questions asking whether you write in your books. Well, what about books that are meant to be written in? Like, say, a journal or diary? Do you keep one? Obviously, if you're answering this, you have a blog--do you just let your blog be your journal? Or do you also keep one for private stuff also?

I do keep a journal. My first journal dates back to when I was 9 or 10. A friend and I decided to start a diary while studying "The Diary Of Anne Frank" at school. that and we also had a diary at school (along with everyone else in the class) that we enjoyed writing in and then reading the comments left by the teacher which we would then reply to. I have kept one on and off since then. I hate looking back on most of the journals when I was younger. I read them and think 'surely I wasn't like that'. Now I have read a lot of books on journaling as my interest in them has grown rather than wained. I love the idea of illustrated journals and have tried to keep a few of those. I also love the idea that anything can be a form of journal. If that is the case then I also have a crafts journal and one for books. I also try to keep my regular journal light. I know everyone needs to rant now and then but looking back over pages filled with nothing but complaints is embarrassing. It is one of the reasons I hate looking back on ones from when I was younger.

As for the notebooks themselves not a single one are the same. I love looking out for a new notebook. I have a tendency still to not wait until a notebook is completely finished. I have many a journal with a few blank pages at the back. In the past it would be the cover of the notebook themselves which would call out to me. Now though all I want is for it to be thick and lined. The cover I can always decorate myself although I have yet to do this.

Timewarden, I passed that episode of The Tomorrow People and I didn't realise it was them. I didn't particulalry like that storyline which is probably why I didn't really notice. How could I have not recognised that voice?

6 comments:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Wonderful post Karen, and I loved reading your answers and reading about your journals. I totally admire you for being able to keep one; I've never been able to. :)

Have a wonderful day!!!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Great post. I think the covers of journals call out to me. I have a few blank ones that have nice covers (got them cheap)...just need to use them for something, lol!

You can see my reply to this on my blog at http://inkscrawls.blogspot.com

Julia said...

Hi - enjoy reading your answers to today question. I have read The Diary of Anne Frank and while it sad, I like the book :)

The jounral book's cover usually what make me buy them. And it depend on the pages of the books too. I can't write well on some of the books....

By the way I enjoy your blog, and hope to visit here again :)

Happy Booking Through Thursday!

Andree said...

What you wrote about embarrassing old journals is so true! When I have read the old journals, I have wondered at time who that person is that wrote that stuff! And it has put my off on continuing journals for a time. Until the next crisis, that is!

I enjoyed reading your viewpoint.

Literary Feline said...

Oh, yes! I can relate to you not enjoying reading over your old journals. My childhood diaries were very much full of complaints. Not very interesting, either looking back. It must have served its purpose at the time though and that's what matters most. Thanks for a great post, Karen!

Crazee4books said...

I kept a journal (journals?) between 1980 and 1990, which I still have. I brouse through them once in awhile, although my hand writing was so small back then I sometimes have a hard time making out the words. I like the idea of making a book journal though and illustrating it. And just to add, I remember watching the Tommorrow People during the 70's. I even have some books based on the series which I picked up cheap during one of my trips to England in the 80's. One of the actors was also in a pop group, wasn't he? Gads, I'm dating myself here. Ugh!