Wednesday 7 February 2007

Sitting Pretty



I finished stitching "Sitting Pretty". All I need to do now is get a frame for it and it will be ready for my Gran's birthday which is a few months away yet. I loved stitching this design. I opted for even weave in place of Aida and I am glad I did. The fabric is so much softer and is pleasure to stitch with. I did the back stitch as I went along so that the birds came to life as I stitched. I love their little characters and I just hope that my gran will like them too.


I had plenty of threads left over and so I used some pale yellow linen to stitch one of the birds and put it on a card. This will be a birthday card for my gran too. I liked the idea of making this as a set and I wasn't bored with stitching these little guys yet. I highly recommend stitching this design. The great thing is that not only do you have more than enough threads, they come all sorted for you. Always a bonus in my book
I'm not done stitching for my gran. I have started a Margaret Sherry Christmas design which I plan to turn into a card. It is one of the cat designs as she loves them too. No point in showing it at the moment though as the stitching I have done so far is all in white.
Timewarden - Definitely poor ol' Bill. I have heard so many stories of his arrogant moments but I still can't help but like him. Plus for all that he is still doing well for himself. Winning awards for Boston Legal as well as his horse riding events and then there is his books (although I have only read a few of the Star Trek ones). I would love it if he were to write an autobiography. I am probably one of the few people who loves his album "Has Been". Not that I class it as serious music and I think it is all very tongue in cheek for him too.
Your right the red headed Doctor was Stephanie Beacham but she was only in the first season. She left when filming of the second series meant moving from LA to Florida. There were a total of two and half series and it first aired in 1993. Roy Scheider (of Jaws fame) played the Captain in the first two. The second season was given a more sci fi spin to try and bring in a larger fan base which only succeeded in alienating some of the original fans of the show. The third season is set ten years later after the crew has been abducted. Michael Ironside took over the role as Captain as Roy Scheider was angry over the direction of the show. Although he did appear in a few episodes after that. It was then cancelled after 13 episodes despite a growing fan base.
Lili, the episode you saw was called "Fear Her". An alien used to being with millions of brothers and sisters is trapped on Earth. It is drawn to a little girl who is also lonely and they try to end that loneliness by bringing everyone together. The Doctor is an alien. He is a Timelord from Gallifrey. In the classic series he had run away from his people so that he could go round helping others. Gallifrey law was too constricting for him. In the new series' he is alone. All his people died in a great time war. So far we are still learning about it. All we really know is that the Daleks were involved, the Timelords didn't survive and there were many other victims. It makes the Doctors character darker than it was in the classic series. The episode you saw was one of the lighter ones, it's about love and hope. Although the ending is a little ominous as it is hinting at the next double episodes which ended series 2. I hope you get to see more.

8 comments:

Kathy said...

Awww Karen they are lovely, what a great finish, and the card is cute too Your Gran will love it I'm sure.

Hugs xxxxx

Leeland said...

Yup! I hope I get to see more too! And indeed, the ending pointed to something much darker, which looks quite interesting. I am astonished at your knowledge of this series! Doctor Who is a very attractive guy (not meaning handsome, but with a lot of personality...).
I couldn't get to see the first pic (like with the lovely trees in your paper craft related post that I saw later as it wouldn't display) but Sitting Pretty is on my list of things I might stitch someday... Both the card and framed design will delight her, for sure!
Thanks for the comment on my card. Family counseling for my friend has been long advised, I will add something in my post about it.
Take care, my friend!

Carol said...

How beautiful! I am sure your Gran will love it!

Kim said...

Love those birds! So cute and that card is great. :D

TimeWarden said...

Thanks for the info on "Seaquest" Karen. I actually have one of the novels but have never gotten around to reading it. I think I only ever saw one episode because it was on at the wrong time of day and you can't tape everything!

Pleased to see Lili has found "Doctor Who". The next couple of episodes are more typical of the series as a whole (as they feature the Doctor's long-term enemies the Daleks and the Cybermen). Stay with it, Lili, as part two is better than part one! Was the episode you watched dubbed into French or with the original English, with French subtitles?

Crazee4books said...

Hi Karen, I love those little birds! Your Gran is going to be so delighted with them, and the matching card is a treat. Reading about Seaquest brought back memories for me too. I remember when it first started here and I was so excited because I love(d) Roy Scheider and he is why I first tuned into the show. I prefered the first season to the second, when there were major cast changes. I don't think I bothered with the show when it returned for a third season. Kind of sad to watch it now and see Jonathon Brandis when he was so young.
Didn't they feature a whole season of Doctor Who concerning the fate of the Time Lords, when they were all destroyed? It was when Colin Baker was playing the Doctor, wasn't it? Were you watching it then? I never saw any of it, just remember reading about it. Cheers Judy

Lillie said...

The birds are soooo adorable.

Gill said...

Congratulations on Sitting Pretty, the birds are full of character especially the extra one you did on the card.
Did you see Primeval tonight? Not sure if its really your thing - when I first saw the clips I thought it was an ITV rip off of Torchwood, then in the radio times they wrote it was similar to Dr Who - I thought no way - there's no Doctor and no Tardis!