Sunday 11 February 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday

What kind of care do you take of your books? Let's review, shall we?



  1. Are you careful with the spines? Or do you crack your books open to make them lay flat? I try not to break the spines. I don't have to actually think about it. Being careful with books just comes naturally to me. I am aware of it when I am borrowing books from other people though.

  2. Do you use bookmarks? Or do you dog-ear the corners? If you do use bookmarks, do you use those fashionable metal ones? Or paper? I love bookmarks and have quite a few. I will use a bookmark once or twice and then forget to take it out of the book I've been reading. I tend to just memorise the page number I am on. Folding the corner of a page is a pet hate of mine.

  3. Do you write in your books? Ever? If you do, do you make small marks, or write in as much blank space as you can find? Pen or pencil? Highlighter? Your name on the front page? When I was at university I would lightly pencil in notes or underline things in text books although only with my own and I would rub them out later. This was also only if I had no post it notes at hand. When I was little I used to write my name inside the front cover of my books. I have also occasionally written messages inside books I have given to people as a gift.
  4. Do you toss your books on the floor? Into book bags? Or do you treat them tenderly, with respect? Not tossed on the floor. I have a pile of books on the floor of my room that I have still to read. They are piled very neatly though. I also always have a book in my bag. Means I have to be careful with bags though as a few books have been damaged from the rain.

  5. Do you ever lay your book face-down, to save your place? Yes, I occasionally do that. Only if I have stopped to speak with someone though.

  6. Um--water? Do you bathe with your books? Hold them with wet hands? Read out in the rain? Anything of that sort? I do read in the bath but I am always careful. One book did take a dunking when I was in my early teens. I've never done that since. I also have a place to leave the book so that it doesn't get damaged once I have finished reading.

  7. Are your books lined up on a bookshelf? Or crammed in any which way? Stacked on the floor? My books are crammed into the bookcase for lack of space. Not so they would get damaged. I also have books stacked on the floor but again it is neat and in a corner where no one is likely to trip over them.

  8. Do you make a distinction--as regards book care--between hardcovers and paperbacks? I have a few first edition so I do tend to be even more careful with hardbacks. I always remove the dust jacket when I am reading them and never break the spines.

  9. And, to recap? Naturally, you love all of your books, but how, exactly? Are your books loved in the battered way of a well-loved teddy bear, or like a cherished photo album or item of clothing that's used, appreciated, but carefully cared for? I actually have some books that come under the first category. These tend to be books that I have loaned to others or have read a number of times. These also tend to be mass produced books so I'm not too worried about them. My favourite books or authors on the other hand are better cared for. When I loan these out people seem to be aware of how important they are to me and take better care of them.

  10. Any additional comments? When I was younger I used to love tattered books. I wanted all of my books to look well read. This changed when I loaned a book to my mum that I had gotten for my birthday and read once. She has a habit of reading a book with one hand and this was a very hefty paperback. I got it back with half the pages falling out. She has since been warned and I have changed my opinion on the condition I like my books in.


Thank you for all your lovely comments on sitting pretty (which I realised is actually called chorus line).

Lili, I got my love of sci fi from my parents. You could say I was brought up with it. Dr Who was one of their favourites. We used to watch it together as a family although I barely remember those episodes. When they were released on video my dad began collecting them and we used to watch them together too. It's where I got most of my knowledge from although there are a lot of people out there who's knowledge is far more extensive than mine.

Judy, the storyline you mentioned is called "Trial of a Timelord" and was during Collin Bakers time. I vaguely remember seeing it when I was little. It was about the Doctors meddling rather than the time war. What we do know about the time war is that it was an all out war between the Timelords and the Daleks. The Daleks weren't involved in "Trial of a Timelord" and the Timelords were still alive at the end of it.
The cast changes from season 1 to 2 of Seaquest were done to bring in a younger audience. They got rid of people they thought were too old. Stephanie Beacham left because filming moved cities and constant off screen arguing between people behind the scenes. Stacey Haiduk who played the young commander left because she didn't like where her character was going. In season 3 more changes were made because they though the cast was too big and the new Dr was axed because she was considered to be too weak. I think I preferred season 1 too.

Gill, I missed Primevil. I was out seeing "The Nutcracker" (which was fantastic). I have heard a lot about it though.

2 comments:

Leeland said...

This is a very interesting tag, that reveals your personality as well as your love of books... I'm afraid my answers would be quite different: Though I love my books with a passion and hesitate to lend any of them for fear of not getting them back -which has happened- I crack them open (painful hands, not great for stitching either), and dog-ear the corners. I also use bookmarks but I am so afraid of forgetting them in the books that I tend to leave them on the books... lol! And I have books everywhere: not enough shelves... though I don't toss them!!!
I haven't seen another Dr Who yet, I need to check the programmes...
Take care!
Lili

Crazee4books said...

You sound very much like me regarding the care and use and storage of your books Karen. Nothing makes me grind my teeth and pull my hair then to see a book with a cracked spine, or a folded page corner.
Thanks for clarifying the Colin Baker story line for me. I don't recall if we ever saw those episodes here in Canada, but I wasn't too impressed with Colin Baker's Doctor, so stopped watching it when he took over the role.
Do you have a favourite Doctor? I have to say that mine is Tom Baker, which is the time period when I watched the show faithfully every week. Second would be a tie between Jon Pertwee and Patrick Troughton, although I haven't seen as many episodes of theirs as of the more modern Doctors.
Did you ever watch the series Beauty and the Beast? It's coming out on DVD soon, at last, and I'm so excited about that. Cheers