Monday 5 February 2007

Seaquest, DSV

I got over my obsession with "House, MD" (not that I had a choice as the third season isn't out yet) through watching "Seaquest, DSV". When I first watched this I loved it because of a childhood crush on actor Jonathan Brandis. This time round I'm watching it for the show itself. I do remember most of the episodes pretty well but I took a greater interest in them. It isn't quite as good as I remembered but then time seems to have that affect. I noticed that with American Gothic which I gave up on. The similarities between this show and Star Trek: TNG are surprising. More surprising that I didn't notice it when I first watched it as I was a fan of both.

A ship going out discovering new things and taking on peace keeping duties. Mainly a ship of scientific discovery but will bring out the guns when it has to. A blatant attraction between the Captain and a red headed doctor. A young genius who isn't an official crew member but helps out now and then. An almost father-son relationship between Captain and boy genius. The only difference is this one is underwater. I am even tempted to compare Darwin to Data but that might be pushing it.

The plot lines themselves aren't that bad. In later series they do border on the bizarre, taking on a more sci fi spin. In this series though the stories seem more plausible and the science isn't so far ahead as to make it entirely unrealistic. One episode I was looking forward to seeing again was one which guest starred William Shatner. I have to admit I am a Shatner fan but even I couldn't fail to describe his acting in this as anything but bad. He was meant to be a dictator on the run determined to hear his son speak. I got the impression he was trying to be on a different level from everyone else. Which worked but I just don't think "drug induced haze" was the affect he wanted (not saying he was in one its just how his acting appeared).

Anyway I enjoyed it and I eagerly await the second series. From what I remember another Doctor love interest comes along but this one has more in common with Deanna Troy.

2 comments:

TimeWarden said...

Poor ol' Bill! I like actors called Bill!! I think Mr Shatner's a bit upset at not being invited to take part in the next "Trek" movie. In typical fashion, he said "there's been a lot of gas but none of it has come his way"!!!

Is the red-headed Doctor in "Seaquest" Stephanie Beacham? I remember her playing Peter Cushing's daughter in "Dracula AD72"! How long ago was the series made and for how many seasons did it run?

Leeland said...

I've seen Doctor Who this morning for the first time! Well, the end of an episode... I still haven't figured out who he is: not human? It was a story with an alien who kidnapped a whole crowd at the Olympic games because it didn't want to be alone... Kind of attractive series. I'll try to catch it again...
Lots of hugs!