Thursday 5 April 2007

Book Swap and Sock Monkey2

This is the last swap I will be taking part in for a while. I had actually planned the fair tale swap to be the last but when someone recommended a book swap I couldn't say no. The point of this swap is that you interrogate your swap partner and from their answers you chose a book to send them. We were all placed with people with similar tastes. Since my swap partner like fantasy and books that are a little bit different I decided to send her "Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. I am hoping she will like it as much as Lili did.


The bookmark was the obvious choice. I got the design from the book "Cross Stitch Myth and Magic". I think it was meant to be used as a border but as the colours were my swap partners favourites I decided to turn it into a bookmark. You can't see it in the photo but there is some silver back stitch between the leaves.

Lili, do you recognise this? Since my swap partner is a fan of fantasy books I decided to stitch this dragon which is free on the Dragon Dreams website. This one is called spirit and I chose it for it's colours. I then attached it to a notebook. I had planned on adding more to the cover but decided that it would just spoil it.


Lastly a set of note cards which is the only craft thing related to the book. I drew a rough sketch of a Dodo onto some material and then embroidered over the outline. This is the first time I have used embroidery to make cards. I made a set of six all in my swap partners favourite colours. I had actually planned on sending more but I had promised a friend I would make something for her before she went away and she then took a week off her original leaving date. This gave me a day to make the item. I will finish the rest for my swap partner over the weekend and send her another parcel next week. More fun that way anyway.


This was what I had promised to make my friend. She is an air hostess during the summer and wanted a sock monkey to take on her travels. If I made her one she promised to take photo's of him in each destination. I had planned on making a little scrapbook too but since she was leaving a week earlier than originally planned I didn't have time. I chose those socks as the colours suit her better than the skull and cross bones of the last sock monkey I made.

Lili, my sister collects cats too. I don't actually go out of my way to buy anything frog related anymore. I haven't done in a long time as I can always guarantee that I will be given something frog related at some point through out the year. It's funny how that happens (not that I am complaining). I spend most of my money on stash and other craft supplies too, lol.

2 comments:

Crazee4books said...

Hi Karen, I wanted to say that I love the things that you made for your book lover's swap partner. Especially the Dragon and the Dodos. I've read Fford's books too and so had a nice little laugh when I saw the embroidered Dodos. My DH and I are watch our Firefly DVD's now and I love this series. Too bad it got cancelled.

Leeland said...

Hi Karen!
The Dragon on the notebook looks real good! My favs have to be the Dodos. I immediately thought "Thursday" and it made me laugh! So thanks for this! Laughing is as scarce and pricy as cheese these days... Lol!!!
Well, this sock monkey is so beautiful! I am definitely in love with him...
I have started the second part of the book in which things finally happen (I don't dare saying more as I wouldn't want to reveal something to someone who would read this AND the book) and I must say it really surprised me! I am hooked... again...
I hope you had a fine Easter.
Hugs!
Lili