Sunday 1 April 2007

Smith And Jones

I watched the very first episode in the new season of Dr Who last night. I couldn't get home from work fast enough to watch it and yes it was taped and waiting for me. It reminded me of the first episode in series one "Rose". The one thing that took me back to it was the Doctor taking Martha's hand and telling her to run. It definitely seemed to be as fast paced as that one and faster than "New Earth" which was the first episode of season two. I suppose it might seem like that as this one clearly tried to fit in as much as possible. It managed to fit in all of Martha's family giving us a picture of what her role there is. It also managed to fit in her work life and a glimpse of what her relationship with the Doctor could be like. All that on top of a working story. Seems a bit much but I think it did work.

This character seems to have a full life I'm not sure if she will get as much out of travelling with the Doctor as Rose seemed to. Rose had only her mother and an off and on boyfriend to go back to. Martha seems to have more of a life. Mind you going by her family I know I would jump at the chance to get away. I think any stories regarding her family could become irritating. Going by that one episode Martha seems to be more of an equal to the Doctor than Rose was which has a lot of potential. I just hope it lives up to it. Will be looking forward to next weeks episode which will involve William Shakespeare and witches.

When Martha first discovers that the hospital has landed on the moon she wants to know why they are still able to breathe. For that the Doctor allows her to help him. Is it sad that I had been wondering that before she mentioned it and then thought well if she gets to go I would so get to go? lol.

Timewarden, I liked "Yesterdays Enterprise" too. Denise Crosby was fantastic at coming back and making it seem as though her character had never been away. I also very much like Guinan's role. They continue to elude to the fact that Guinan and Picard know each other very well. I know this is a story line that takes part later on as another two parter. But I wonder if the writers had something like it in mind all along. Looking forward to seeing what you think of the new series of Dr Who.

Lili, most people know about my frog collecting (almost got a pet frog once). I think because of that it is not something I mention unless someone else brings it up. Surprised I haven't brought it up by now though. I have loved frogs since I was little. I loved the Muppet's and the Fraggles. For my 3rd birthday I was given a plastic Kermit who sits on a chest and underneath it says "Happy Birthday". That was my first thing. Since then it has grown. I only recently have begun to collect other things related to the Muppet's too.

I promise I won't delete the blog. I'll keep it there so that you can access it. I am so glad that you like "Girlfriend In A Coma". As I mentioned in my letter it is not my favourite book by him but it is the one most people seem to like the best. I love all of his books for the way he makes all of his characters seem so real. I think one of his greatest talents is taking a stereotype, placing it on a character and then making that character more than the stereotype. "Microserfs" is a great example. He takes a group of stereotypical nerds and then turns them into real people.

2 comments:

Leeland said...

Yup! Still having a very good time with the book, as I tend to fall in a coma myself every night around nine and wake up (sh..!) in the morning after 11 hours of bad nightmares... That doesn't leave much time for reading... Frustrating!!!
I will definitely read other books by Coupland.
This frog collection is an interesting thing. I like them a lot (and no, I don't eat these poor things!) but I don't collect them... I used to collect elephants -then cats- then stopped collecting animals and started collecting stitching stash instead... Lol!!!
This new Doctor Who series looks interesting. I never got to see another Dr Who episode: it seems they have stopped broadcasting the series. Frustrating too... I like the idea that Martha is more an equal to the doctor (I'm kind of a fighter for women's rights, you know... Lol!).
Gotta go, I need to finish some Easter cross stitch to make cards to send to my aunt and grandma... Always the same... I'm laaaate!
Hugs!
Lili

TimeWarden said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Karen. I did too. I don't think we see Martha's family again until episode six. It doesn't look as though they will dominate quite as much as did Rose's family.

Martha's Dad's been in "Doctor Who" before, in episode 5 of "The Trial of a Time Lord". I'm sad enough to be able to remember some of actor Trevor Laird's lines from that 1986 serial. "There's nothing down that way," he says menacingly to sixth Doctor Colin Baker, "Only the Lukoser"! I think he has a very rich and distinctive voice.