Thursday 26 July 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday

Well, after last week’s record-breaking number of responses (92 last time I checked–an all-time BTT record), I was tempted to use this week’s question to ask what you all thought about Harry Potter 7–but since a decent proportion of you weren’t going to be reading it at all, that seemed unfair. So instead . . .

Who’s the worst fictional villain you can think of? As in, the one you hate the most, find the most evil, are happiest to see defeated? Not the cardboard, two-dimensional variety, but the most deliciously-written, most entertaining, best villain? Not necessarily the most “evil,” so much as the best-conceived on the part of the author…oh, you know what I mean!

These days I read very few books where there is an absolute villain. I find this question quite difficult. Most people I know have fictional characters that they love to hate but I find it difficult to feel that passionately about most bad characters. Out of some classics that I have read in the past I can think of Dracula, Uriah Heep and Heathcliff. While I disliked their characters as the reader was supposed to I don't think they were the most entertaining of villains and I'm not sure how I would class a character as such. Of course if I was talking sci fi it would be the easy choice of possibly the Daleks or the Cybermen. I am sitting here looking at my piles of books and although there are a number of classics, horror and fantasy amongst them nothing springs to mind. Maybe I have the discovery of my favourite villain to look forward to.

Still speaking of books I got the cutest craft book on how to make soft toys. All it takes is a little felt, a little stuffing and some hand stitching. I am going felt shopping today and hopefully make a start on at least one. Once I have made my first I will show you an image of the book with a mini review. On an aside here is a word of advice. Never say (however innocently you might have meant it) "I need to get felt" amongst a group of people who clearly have dirty minds. The comments I got after I said it would make anyone blush.

2 comments:

TimeWarden said...

Frank Booth in "Blue Velvet", as played by Dennis Hopper, immediately springs to mind though you wouldn't notice any acting he so inhabits the character of such a ghastly man! I assume I can pick a film character as you mention Daleks and Cybermen, essentially TV villains.

I hope Dennis Hopper isn't as evil in "Doctor Who", next year, as he was in the aforementioned 1986 David (Twin Peaks) Lynch movie, or, at least, not in the same way! What's disturbing about Frank is that he is so believable you worry there might actually be people like him out in the real world!!

Leeland said...

Evil characters. Well, there are lots of them in my books but I couldn't name one right now... Jack Schitt Hause may be -you know, I'm reading the latest Jasper Fforde right now so of course... wink!