Tuesday 10 July 2007

Diva

Meet Scarlett. Scarlett is an Opera singing diva. Here she is posing for a photo next to her CD collection. Scarlett is famous for her singing and more famous for her tantrums. She is sought after to be in the most prestigious productions but dreaded by all who work with her. Just try saying no to her once and you'll find out why. Scarlett belongs to my mum. After seeing me make all these sock monkeys for other people (including one for my sister) my mum finally asked for one. When we were out one day I dragged her into a store to pick out her socks. My mum's favourite colour is red so I wasn't really surprised by her choice.

I doubt there is a single person in the UK who doesn't know what happens a week on Friday. The last Harry Potter book will be released at midnight. I am one of those sad folk who is looking forward to it. In preparation I have begun reading the series over again. I am still only on book one (a bad cold has slowed me down with everything). I have went to the cinema to see each of the films (the next one is also out this week) and each time I have always been disappointed in the things that they leave out. It's amazing though how much you forget exactly what was left out. Half way through the first one and I was surprised by just how different key scenes in the book and movie are. Certain characters missing from scenes and whole sections missing. It's still relatively true to the book but it's still funny how I became so used to the film version that it became the truer one.


I have liked reading everyones answers to the booking through thursday question. Timewarden, Charles Dickens would have been my choice next to Shakespeare too. Like you David Copperfield would have been my choice when I was younger. Now it's probably a tie between Great Expectations and Bleak House. I have a friend who would have chosen Pride and Prejudice partly due to the TV adaptation. She collects different editions of this book she loves it that much. I would probably choose "To Kill A Mockingbird" from the States too.


crazee4books, I loved Anne of Green Gables. I have always meant to go back and read them all again. I also like the Emily series by the same author. I do like Margaret Atwood too though. "The Blind Assassin" is probably my favourite out of the few that I have read. I haven't read many Canadian authors to suggest a possible greatest book but I do love Douglas Coupland. An author I have blogged about before.


Thanks again for all your comments on the sock monkeys. I never thought of giving the pirate monkey some dreadlocks. It's a good idea. Lili, I am glad that Daphne likes them too. It's sweet that she wants to see them.

3 comments:

Leeland said...

Lol! Diva has such a personality! My! I love her -well, at least her looks!
I share your opinion on the HP movies. I have re-read the first five before reading number six, so I'm not sure I'll do it again... The French version will be there only 23rd October. Until then, I'll have to flee every allusion to the book on blogs!!!
In France, Emile Zola would be a major choice I think. And I have really loved Great Expectations (read four or five times may be since I was ten).
Take care, Lili

Crazee4books said...

Hi Karen, Love the Diva!! Both the attitude and the red. It's fun seeing the personalities that emerge from each sock monkey as it's made and displayed.
The Harry Potter movie opened here at midnight last night in about half a dozen theatres. It's now in major release everywhere. We'll probably go see it this weekend, and I can't wait. This was my favourite of all the books so I'm curious to see what they do with it.
Sadly, the books have gotten so big it's inevitable that big chunks of the story have to be left out. I am eager to get the last book when it comes out a week after the movie, but it will be sad too. No more new Harry adventures to look forward to. Wonder if he'll survive in the end?
Best French writer of all time? Victor Hugo? Alexandre Dumas?
I loved To Kill A Mockingbird too.
Hope you are feeling better soon Karen. Summer colds are a real pain in the you know where. Cheers

TimeWarden said...

I would add Molière to the best French writer list. "Le Misanthrope" is the play of his I have on my bookshelves.

"Les Misérables" would be my choice of Hugo's novels and not because of the musical!

My Dad is more of a Dumas fan than myself!!

And, going back to Dickens, "Bleak House" probably ties with "Hard Times" and "A Tale of Two Cities" for me.