Saturday 28 July 2007

Harry Potter and the Cute Book

I bet JK Rowling never considered that as a title for her HP books. I am hoping that this will be my last HP post for a while. Getting a little sick of talking about it myself. I have finally went to see the film though and thought I should mention it a little. Harry is angry in this one. He has been left out of the loop all summer until he is attacked by two dementors and so removed from his muggle home to that of Sirius Black's childhood home. There he discovers that an order to fight the Dark Lord has reformed, the order of the Phoenix. Harry then gets to school to discover that the ministry has taken over the school through Professor Umbrige. As they see that they are not going to be shown how to defend themselves Harry and friends decide to teach themselves and form Dumbledores Army. Meanwhile Harry is seeing flashes of what the Dark Lord is up to.

It was a good take on the book but as expected so much was missed out. The time in the Black home took up over 100 pages in the book. I was just sorry that there wasn't more on the Order or the Aurors themselves. Not that it was necessary as they put in enough for everyone to understand the story. It's quite a large book compared to all the others and it would have to be cut drastically unless we wanted something on the length of LOTR. The critics are right this film was darker than the others and the ending was great. Not going to say too much more on that as I don't want to spoil it. If it hadn't been for the ending though I would have preferred the previous one to this. Someone else found it scary from the start though. When the dementors entered the scene a child started screaming in the cinema hall and later had to be taken away by his mother.


And here is where the Cute Book comes in. I mentioned this book in yesterdays post. I saw this book discussed on a crafts website I visit. I didn't give it much thought. Although the cover looked very cute these books are usually disappointing. Then I saw it in the book shop and was pleasantly surprised. I had to go and buy it. This book shows you how to make lots of very cute felt mascots. The book gives templates for each of the characters and then detailed diagrams of how to put them together. All the instructions are simple to follow and the characters seems easy enough to make. The back of the book gives some ideas of other ways to craft these mascots.

This is my first attempt at one of them, the monkey. He does look a little angry but he looks a little angry in the book too. I think if I make him again I would probably try and give him a smile. He hasn't got a name yet as I plan on giving him away today. I also have a list of other mascots I want to make and thankfully I bought enough felt to make a few.

Timewarden, I resorted to TV villains as I couldn't think of any in the book world. At least any that made me think the way the question described. I haven't seen "Blue Velvet".

1 comment:

TimeWarden said...

I wonder why children are frightened by fictional things they see on a screen? Wouldn't it reassure them if their mother or father told them it's only a film! What do you think?

I must admit, as a child, I would've hated to be dragged away mid-story! I've never believed in the myth that children are so timid they hide behind the sofa every time the Cybermen appear!!