Wednesday 25 July 2007

Star Trek TNG 6


Yes, I have finally gotten round to watching the sixth season of Star Trek the Next Generation. Took me a while to get round to it. I've basically been watching it on and off over the last few months. I have seen the episodes in this season over and over again which is one of the reasons that it took me so long to get through it. The other reason is that Timewarden is right. This isn't the best one. There are some good episodes in there but what I did notice is that it seemed to be the season of double episodes. In most of the others the double episode is the last episode of one season and the first of the next. If you include the ones at the start and the end season six had a total of four. My favourite of them all is probably Chain of Command. Picard is captured by the Cardassians after a set up mission and we see the sadistic side of the Cardassians. A theme that has been hinted at in previous episode with the Cardassians and continues in DS9.


Schisms is another episode I very much enjoyed both now and when I first saw it. The Enterprise crew are being experimented on by unknown aliens (There was a very similar episode to that in Voyager). I thought this episode was well done and found it to be creepy at the time. Other episodes I enjoyed were Face of the enemy, Starship Mine, Frame Of Mind and Timescape. The rest just didn't come up to the standards of the past. That's not to say I didn't enjoy watching them again but there had been better episodes before that and better ones to come. True Q and Rascals were two of my favourites when I was younger but my taste has since changed.


I am looking forward to moving on to season 7. There are many episodes in there that I am sure I have forgotten. I am also itching to move on to DS9 which I also very much enjoyed watching the first time round.


Timewarden, Daradon seems to be a friend to the bad guys. Mind you that doesn't mean he should stand in front of the Dalek. He was too shy to approach any of the stars but maybe next time.

1 comment:

TimeWarden said...

I remember enjoying "Relics" at the time if only because it was nice to see Scotty back on board. Shame James Doohan's no longer with us though I read he finally got his wish and his ashes were sent into space!

I actually found episode two of "Chain of Command" quite upsetting on first transmission. Maybe that's down to David Warner's quality of acting, that the torture of Picard seemed quite harrowing for "Star Trek".

One thing I do prefer in season six over season five is the last episode. I think "Descent: Part 1" is better than "Time's Arrow: Part 1" but maybe that's because I like the Borg! Looking forward to reading what you say about season seven...