Wednesday 25 July 2007

A Good Day Yesterday




Yesterday BBC2 showed the first two episodes of the new hit US show "Heroes". I have already seen up to episode 9 but am more than happy to watch them all over again (and of course to catch the last few I missed). In the first two episodes the story feels like it has barely started. Instead we are being introduced to the story line and to the many characters. All the main characters share one thing in common. They all have a gift. Most of them are trying to deny that fact but two of them are actually overjoyed by it. First of all Peter Patrelli has been having dreams that he can fly. Dreams in which his brother will occasionally appear in. His brother busy trying to become elected tries to deny that this could be real.






The second character has to be my favourite of the show. Hiro is almost your typical geek. He tries to prove to his best friend that he has the ability to transport himself by manipulating time and space. You can't help but love his enthusiasm and excitement when he succeeds in transporting himself to New York (you might recognise the actor as he played Franklin in Scrubs). There is something likable in most characters and you find yourself looking forward to finding out more and more about each of them. So far we know that New York is going to blow up some time in the future. We know that there is a serial killer on the loose. One who had worked with Professor Suresh who was making progress in discovering that there are people out there who are special. We also know there is some kind of agency looking for Suresh's work and that the cheerleaders father is somehow connected to it.


This series just gets better with each episode and I find myself looking forward to next weeks installment. The good thing about this series is that it seems to appeal to both sci fi and non sci fi fans. The lack of technology, the fact that the characters seem like real people and that it is sent in present time probably helps. It was actually too very non sci fi fans who brought my attention to it.


Other than Heroes being on the screen I had a good day for other reasons. It was just a relaxing day off. I managed to do a little reading, some knitting and I even got out all my scrapbook materials and worked on a couple of pages. Something I haven't done in a long time.

Here is one page I did for my sister's scrapbook that I am pleased with. When I took the photo my sister didn't notice until I got the photo's back (I didn't use the digital camera for this one). She was concentrating so hard on sketching a sculpture. I used an orange-brown card for the background and then some ribbon down the sides. I then cut some flowers out of papers I got free with the magazine "Scrapbook Inspirations" (my magazine of choice at the moment) a while back. I then used orange diamante for the centre of the flowers.

The best part of yesterday was that while working on scrapbook pages my sister worked alongside me. Last year I managed to encourage her to have a go at cardmaking. She sat watching me and then asked if she could have a go. I let her just dive into my supplies to see what she came up with. My sister is a talented artist and it looks like she could be a talented crafter if she wanted to be. Her card was lovely although she didn't use it in the end. I thought that would be it. She is easily bored by these things after having one go at it. But no, we all got handmade cards at Christmas and she has since made cards for friends and family (including a card for my gran that I thought she had bought at the store until she showed me the supplies she bought). Yesterday she made a birthday card with her best friend and it turned out just as lovely as all her others. She doesn't mind experimenting on her own. Unlike me I find it difficult to break away from a style that works. And she always seems to hit it spot on. Yesterday she managed to make a card that looked both classy and fun. I'm not at all jealous of her talent!


Timewarden, how could I have forgotten to mention Relics? Actually I never like Relics then or now. I found it to be really dull. Not good enough for a guest appearance of James Doohan although he was good in it. I found Chain of Command a little upsetting the first time I watched it too. Those torture scenes were definitely a first for Star Trek. Like you I also preferred Descent to Times Arrow. I am a fan of the Borg too and it was good to see all the loose ends with Lor tied up.

3 comments:

TimeWarden said...

Haven't managed to catch "Heroes" yet because of the flooding in Gloucester. Ironically, finding enough water is harder than it might seem! I'll try and see it Sunday and let you know what I think then...

Tim x

Leeland said...

Lovely scrapbooking and pic too. What you say about your sister's talent reminds me of what I said about yours some time ago. You have a gifted family, Karen and you're extremely talented yourself... I envy you (but no jealousy, just admiration)...

Leeland said...

PS: I will soon watch this series too as I've heard a lot about Heroes and feel quite curious...