Thursday 17 May 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday
It happens even to the best readers from time to time… you close the cover on the book you’re reading and discover, to your horror, that there’s nothing else to read. Either there’s nothing in the house, or nothing you’re in the mood for. Just, nothing that “clicks.” What do you do?? How do you get the reading wheels turning again?

I never have nothing to read. I am bad for collecting books. I always have a huge pile to chose from. Occasionally I am good and work my way through some of it. It doesn't last long though. Every few months I will go on a book buying binge. Usually some of those books will be read straight away and the rest will be added to the book pile to be read later on. There have been times though where I have finished a book and I look to the pile and nothing there appeals to me at that moment. This usually happens when I have read a good book and I want to read something similar but I don't have anything like that there. Or if I have a particular book in mind that I want to read but I don't have it there and none of the others will do as a second choice. When that happens I can usually go away and do something else. By the following day I will either have gotten over it and finally chosen a book from the pile. Or I will have bought the book that I have been really wanting to read.

There have been very rare times where I just don't feel like reading at all. As I said this is very rare but when that happens I will again just go and do something else.

4 comments:

Melody said...

Hi Karen, great answers! My reading depends alot on my mood too.

Happy BTT!

Literary Feline said...

I'm enjoying reading through everyone's answers to this week's topic. I'm afraid my TBR collection is so huge that any progress I make is not noticeable. :-S Like you, there's always something to read. It's just a matter of what to chose at any given moment . . . That can sometimes get me into trouble.

Leeland said...

Well, had I been a native, I would 've written exactly the same thing word for word, Karen. Just one thing to add: I have never ever been able to fall asleep at night without reading at least a few pages from a book (a mag won't do) so I do have to choose one, even if I leave it aside afterwards... I also need to know that there is a book and a lamp close to me at night for possible insomnia. I would go mad out of anxiety without those. I'm not kidding -and yes, it is pathetic. Lol!!!
I will take some time soon to read the book reviews. I love doing it uninterrupted so I guess it will have to wait next monday...
Hugs!
Lili

Crazee4books said...

Karen, if you like books based at least in part on fairy tales perhaps you'd care to check out the Bitterbynde trilogy by Cecilia Dart Thornton. This actually uses folk lore from different sources as well. The first book in the series is "The Ill Made Mute".
I don't know if I've ever run out of books to read here at home. There's always something. And I do re-read my favourites.