Thursday 24 May 2007

Star Trek TNG 5

I finally got back to working my way through the Star Trek TNG box sets. At the weekend there I finished season 5. Timewarden, I remember that you said that this was one of your favourite seasons and I can see why. There are so many good episodes in there. Some of my favourites include the double episodes with the return of Spock, Unification Part 1 and 2. This episode sees the return of Spock as he tries to help the Romulans and Vulcan reunite. Needless to say it doesn't go down very well and we also see the return of Tasha Yars Romulan daughter. My favourite parts of these episodes was the conversations between Spock and Data. Other favourite episodes include "Conundrum", "Power Play", "The First Duty" (probably the only Wesley story I truly enjoyed), "I, Borg" and of course "The Inner Light".

The episodes in this series are more familiar to me than the others so far. I used to watch these episodes more often than the others. Again I can see how my taste has changed since I first watched these episodes as a young teenager. Then I loved "Imaginary Friend" and "Hero Worship". Now I enjoyed "Darmok" which I didn't at the time. During the extras it was mentioned that this episode was used quite a lot in linguistic classes all over the US. "I, Borg" and "The Inner Light" have remained favourites. "I, Borg" humanises the Borg and you are left feeling pity for them. "The Inner Light" is just such a sweet and sad story. For those who don't know this one a probe was sent out by a planet centuries ago. The purpose of the probe is to go out there and find someone to remember them. It finds Picard and scans him. He then wakes up in this world and believes that he is living his life among the. He has children and becomes a member of the community. It's a lovely story and was one of my favourites when I first watched it as it is now.

It was also during this series that Gene Roddenberry passed away. During the extras there was a piece dedicated to him, where all the actors and writers got to talk about their memories of him. It was nice to here about this man and how he came up with the whole Star Trek concept.

Hi Lili, thanks for your comments on the cat coaster. I might stitch one or two for my mum. I don't know if I can find it in me to stitch them all. I had planned on using the charts to stitch birthday cards for both my mum and my sister. My sister has already picked her cat out (she likes to tell me what I will be making her). The back stitch in them was not too bad. I think because I was using linen rather than aida it made it so much easier. It actually didn't take long to do the back stitch. Maybe the first cat is hiding so that someone else will be punished for something she did. Or she is putting on her adorable face in the hopes that her masters will forget the vase she broke and realise how lovely she is.

I haven't read "The Testament Of Gideon Mack" but it is one of our bestsellers here at the moment. It is one of Richard and Judy's books of choice and so it is doing very well. Hope you are enjoying it. I just love the cover.

3 comments:

TimeWarden said...

It's a while since I've seen them but my memory pretty much tallies with what you've said.

I didn't like "Darmok" first time round but enjoyed it more from repeat viewing. "I, Borg" does what "Doctor Who" did years later in "Dalek" and "The Inner Light" is the perfect pastoral science fiction story, demonstrating how to marry the small details of family relationships with more universal concepts that "Doctor Who" has yet to properly achieve!

I don't think season six of "TNG" is as good but remember the glory being reclaimed towards the end of season seven. I look forward to reading what you think about the final two years in future posts...

Crazee4books said...

Hi Karen, It's been so long since I last saw an episode of Next Gen. But reading your posting about the various episodes of season 5 has brought back many memories. The episode "the Inner Light" was so sad at the end. I remember it made me weepy.
I wonder if because the Doctor travels around so much it's harder for that "Family" feeling to come across in that series. By the time that the Doctor arrives anywhere there is already a full blown crisis going on and little time for a view of "normal" life.
P.S. Those cat coasters are too adorable for words.

Name: Debra Garcia, M.A. said...

"Inner Light" is my all-time favorite episode. I remember watching it about 16 years ago, sitting next to my best friend; neither of us looking at each other; then when it was finally over, seeing the tears in each others' eyes.

Of course, I've seen it since then. It's always a pleasure.