Saturday 5 May 2007

Booking Through Thursday

I haven't done one of these in a long time. As I have no pics to post (the last place I was at wasn't exactly picturesque for a pic of Mr Sparkles) and I have no craft updates or book reviews I thought I would do one of these.

Booking Through Thursday
No, not THAT kind of R.I.P.
Reading. In. Public.
Do you do it? Why or why not?

Yes, I do read in public. I can't read on the bus as I get motion sickness but I do like to read when travelling by train or plane (takes my mind off flying). Also I love nothing more than to read in a coffee shop. Occasionally when I have a day off and I am between books I like to go book shopping. I will take my time in choosing a book (I usually pic out one or two). Once I have bought them I will go get myself a coffee in the bookshop cafe and will sit down and read a chapter or two. In the shop I used to do this in you would find most people are reading rather than chatting with friends. It's just such a nice atmosphere. I am a nosy reader though. I will have a sly look around to see what other people are reading. Mainly to see if I can spot anything interesting which might be worth checking out later. Unfortunately that shop has closed now. I could do it at work but it really isn't the same.

I was watching Evolution of the Daleks again last night, actually I caught the last half of it. I like the fact that while the old man in the park was giving his speech the Daleks were watching his reaction. Then when Sec was giving his speeches they were continuously looking to each other. It amused me.

Yes, I agree that when Nancy was blackmailing the homeowner it did seem a little out of character. But then she was living on the street during the war and looking after all those kids so it didn't bother me that much.

3 comments:

Leeland said...

I've been to a coffee shop like this in Canterbury once. It was upstairs a bookshop and the atmosphere was so special... I have the fondest memory of this moment. I can only regret that these things don't exist around here. Although the French have such a different behaviour that I don't think it would be that pleasant. The British are a quiet and respectful people. They hardly complain or laugh loudly: all things typically latin...
I will write you an email to tell you what books I have brought back from my London trip -probably tomorrow as we are having guests tonight so it's a bit hectic at the moment...
Hugs!
Lili

Leeland said...

PS: Reading in public is something I have always done. It prevents people from trying to talk to me. Lol!!!

Leeland said...

PPS: I haven't read Secret Garden but I have the book and intend to. I have just written you a gmail too. A long one...
With all my PS, we might beat a new record in comments... Lol!