Thursday 31 May 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday
Do you read e-Books?
f so, how? On your computer, or a PDA?
Or are you a paper purist? Why?

I don't read e-Books and I am a paper purist. I even dislike audio books (although I will listen to stories made for audio). I'm not sure why I became such a paper purist. I do like gadgets, I take after my dad like that. So it is surprising that I am so against non paper books.

I can tell you why I am a paper purists. For a start I work with paper based books. If I want to keep my job I can't help but hope that e-books never replace paper. The main reason though is that I just don't believe that it is the same. I love books. I love the new smell. I love thumbing through the pages. I love books that are beautifully illustrated and spending as much time pouring over those as I do the words. I love the feel of turning a page. I love opening a book for the first time and I love closing a book after I have finished a fantastic read. I love the way they sit on my shelf and at anyone time I can pick one up and flick through it. Can anyone seriously get the same satisfaction out of e-books? I don't care what anyone says, it just isn't the same. A lot of the time a book will catch my eye because of the cover. I doubt e-books have that same impact.

I can understand why people would like them. They are more environmentally friendly (think of all those saved trees). They don't take up physical storage space and it would be easier to carry around than a book. Still, they aren't for me and if e-books do ever replace paper books I will be very upset.

2 comments:

TimeWarden said...

I think, from a practical point of view, it's physically quicker and easier to find a place in a "real" book, too! But, like you, I hope the book, as a tangible object, is never replaced.

Which rather puts me at odds with what I logged in to tell you! Namely that Paul Cornell's original novel of "Human Nature" is going to be republished, at some point, but only online!!

Leeland said...

Well, I agree 1000% with you. I love the feeling, smell of books. I find it hard to read on screen. And when I really love a book, I have surprised myself hugging it, or gently wiping its covers, you know. I have a sensitive relationship to books. I think there are many of us around here who feel the same and I don't even question that paper books might be replaced by ebooks. There might be a paralel market but it will remain small.
Thanks for your nice comment on my blog. I have posted again, about the meaning of dreams. That's a little personal but I take it as a sort of coming out... Perhaps it will do me good?
Take care, my friend.
Lili